A27 Action Campaign group is likely to hear good news announced in next month’s Autumn Statement by the government as David Cameron has given the strongest indication yet that major improvements to the A27 will go ahead. The Government plans to spend £15 billion on 100 major roads projects by the end of the decade as the economy continues to recover.
Speaking earlier this month at the Confederation of British Industry’s (CBI) annual conference in London, David Cameron said that the Government will embark on the “biggest, boldest and most far-reaching road improvement programme” for 40 years.
He further commented: “There will be action to improve some of the most important arteries in our country – like the A303, A1 and A27 – which for too long have held parts of our country back, all underpinned by £15 billion worth of spending. Hundreds of miles of new lanes will be added to congested motorways and trunk roads across the country”
The news pre-empts Chancellor George Osborne’s Autumn Statement on Wednesday 3rd December 2014, when further details will be officially announced.
The A27 Action Campaign, made up of local councils, business leaders and local MPs, has spent several months lobbying the Government to commit to solving the notorious congestion that affects the road.
It has called for dual carriageway across West Sussex, an Arundel bypass, better junctions at Chichester, Fontwell and Brighton, improvements along the Worthing to Lancing corridor, and improved A27/A26 access to Newhaven.
West Sussex County Council’s Leader, Louise Goldsmith, said: “We have had a strong campaign, supported by many people, about dualling the A27 from east to west.It certainly looks like David Cameron has acknowledged the effort and the case we have put in, although we still don’t know the detail yet.We are waiting for more information in the Autumn Statement on December 3rd, and we will be continuing to campaign right up until that day.”